Saturday, June 14, 2008

cake cafe made me cry

I am not a happy bunny. we went to cake cafe for a bit of post-house hunting analysis and i ordered the tart off the days menu - tomato, durrus cheese, olive tapenade. After about a third of it, i remarked to mark that it was very salty. then i saw capers, presumed it was them and i picked them out. The tart didn't list capers - if it did i wouldn't have ordered it as i don't really like them, but i went on because i was hungry and it wasn't that big anyway. There was only about a quarter left when i asked mark did he want it and as i prodded it across the plate to him i saw something fishy. Literally. he took it, had a look and then we asked the waiter was there anchovies in the tart. He looked confused, and went off to the chef. I saw the chef do a big eyebrow raise in a 'like, duh' kinda way. The waiter came over and reported they were part of the tapenade, and that always has anchovies. The manager lady came over at this point and apologised at my being upset but reiterated the same. I argued that they might think there's always anchovies in tapenade but i've eaten plenty of it listed as vegetarian. Mark went and paid - we weren't charged for the tart, and they gave us 2 cupcakes.


But its hardly enough for breaking nearly 12 years of being a vegetarian on me. I was really upset at them, and felt like they were not really taking responsibilty for it. Mark was very understanding of my reaction, and told them they should really highlight that there's fish in something that its not obvious in. To make sure i'm not being thick i looked up several olive tapenade recipes. Half have anchovies, half don't, and jars of Sacla tapenades don't either - so from the chefs POV it might always have them, but from the customers point of view, it may never.

I had woken up with a really sore throat and sneezes today, and coupled with my teary lunch i was in a right state for going for an eye test - but, for the first time ever, specsavers made my day! It wasn't gonna get shitter anyway. The optician asked me a load of questions about my laser surgery, before doing the eye test bit. She proclaimed me to a be 'a poster girl for eye laser surgery' with my 2 very healthy eyes, and 20/10 vision. Thats better than 20/20 folks! Then I went and bought a new pair of shoes to congratulate myself on being able to see so well, and comiserate with myself on having ingested fish.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh no, you should post that on menupages.ie. Cake Cafe has yum stuff but very very shoddy service and they're not the most apologetic crowd when being complained to!

Plus anchovies are ROTTEN. Pity it wasn't a bit of bacon or something nice they'd thrown in.

jill said...

good idea.

and your right about the anchovies. at least if i was going to be made cheat it could have been with rahsers - the only thing i miss...

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation you're doing well to have reached 12 years without being "spiked", it seems to happen to me every 3 years or so. Happened at least once in the DCU canteen but I spotted the offending bit of pig before it reached my mouth. Last time was Yamamori giving me seafood instead of veggie tempura, and they were really unapologetic too. Just remember, the fishy didn't die on your account!

jill said...

aw lolo you've made me feel at least a bit better. i think my mum spent the first couple of years feeding me loads of soup spiked with chicken stock. only when i tasted other home made soup (ie. left home and went to college) i realised that soup didn't automatically taste chickeny.